Drones have gained massive popularity in recent times. Initially, drones were used for recreational purposes.
But now, you can become a legally certified drone pilot. You can now turn your passion into your profession. If you want to have fun shooting wildlife or become a professional drone pilot, you will need to own a drone.
When you purchase a drone, you will get an entire drone kit with it. Drone kits include various accessories. These accessories improve the functionality of a drone.
Battery kit, cameras, gimbal, goggle headsets, and other such equipment are included in a drone kit. You can also purchase an extended warranty on the kit.
Drone kits make it easy to maximize the functions of a drone. Having everything in one place is another advantage of a drone kit. You don’t have to purchase every part separately.
Instead of buying a drone, you can buy the entire kit. It is both convenient and cost-effective. There are several drone kits available in the market. Here is a list of the five best drone kits.
Winner: Autel Robotics EVO Drone
The Autel Robotics EVO Drone is built to last. It comes with a built-in 12-megapixel camera which allows you to shoot stunning photos. You can also record high-quality videos.
The powerful battery will enable you to fly your drone for a long time. The Quadcopter has strong propellers that ensure a smooth flight. A one-year warranty is another perk of buying the Autel Robotics EVO Drone.
The in-built GPS allows you to keep track of your drone no matter where it is. Now that we have a fair idea about the drone let’s dive deep into its pros and cons.
- It comes with a remote controller, cable micro-USB, remote controller, one-year warranty, a spare propeller, microSD Card, shoulder bag, 4300 mAh battery, gear landing pad, ground spokes, VR headset, viewer goggles, and more.
- The camera is built on a 3-axis gimbal. It stabilizes the images. It also provides impressive 4k resolution videos. You will also enjoy clicking pictures at 60 frames per second.
- The 12-megapixel camera is designed using real glass optics. It also comes with an Ambarella H2 image processor. It helps you record a dynamic range in each shot.
- The inbuilt GLONASS and dual GPS systems allow hands-free flying. The Return to Home feature lets you call your drone back. It can be done if the remote-control signal is interrupted or the battery is low.
- It is portable and easy to carry. Every part of the drone is rigorously tested before assembly. Multiple testing assures that the quality of the drone is not compromised.
- It has low battery life.
- It has a low-megapixel camera.
Runner-up: GILOBABY STEM RC Toys DIY Mini Racing Drone
The Gilobaby Stem RC Toys DIY Mini Racing Drone comes with a headless mode. You can fly the drone hands-free. It also has a 2.4 GHz Nano LED.
This drone is perfect for beginners. It is an excellent present for both girls and boys. You can use the Mini Racing Drone for various things. Shooting videos, clicking photos, drone racing, or any other drone-related activity can be done using this drone.
It goes up to high altitudes and is perfect for anyone for first-time drone owners. It is one of the best starter drone kits on the market. Let’s look at the pros and cons of this mini drone.
- It provides a 6-axis gyro quad-rotorcraft flight. It maintains the drone’s stability and ensures a smooth flight. This drone is wind resistant and very easy to control.
- The Gilobaby mini drone comes with a headless mode. You can continue to fly it with ease using the headless mode.
- Its flexible control movements allow you to fly at all angles. The movement functions let you fly the drone in any direction. You can go up, down, right-left, or perform stunts.
- It is also great for education. Children can develop extraordinary skills using this drone. You can teach them about science, engineering, technology, and math. Drone flying is a skill that you can develop at a very young age.
- It is easy to use. The drone kit includes a detailed instruction manual that helps you operate the drone quickly. The functions are relatively simple and can be easily picked up by kids and adults.
- It is a basic drone model.
- It is not ideal for professionals.
Alternative: DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Quadcopter Drone
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Quadcopter Drone comes with a 1-inch camera. The camera has 20 megapixels with a built-in monitor.
You can store all your images on the 64/32 GB micro SDXC cards. This card can be read using the card reader 3.0 included in the drone kit. The kit also consists of a harness, guards, a charging hub, and a range extender.
These are just a few high-tech gears that come with the drone. To understand the features of this drone kit, let’s get into its pros and cons.
- The DJI Drone kit comes with numerous accessories. It includes a handheld transmitter with a built-in monitor, a battery, a smart charger, a 32 GB SD card, a cleaning cloth, and a universal card reader.
- It comes with a built-in 1-inch 20MP sensor which allows you to use a 1-inch Megapixel CMOS sensor.
- The control range goes up to 7km. It also has a 100 feet sensor range. The inbuilt Smart Return Home option allows the drone to fly home independently. It also helps it avoid obstacles.
- The five-direction obstacle sensing features allow you to fly the drone quickly. It dodges obstacles with ease.
- The ActiveTrack TapFly option lets you fly your drone with a simple tap. It is easy to fly and even easier to maintain.
- It does not come with a one-year extended warranty.
- The warranty has to be purchased separately.
- It does not include a bag for the accessories.
Alternative: Kids Alpha RC Drone Toy for Children
The Kids Alpha RC Drone Toy for Children is the perfect Easter present for kids. The drone is shaped like a foldable easter egg. It also includes a painting kit.
It will allow your kids to express their artistic sides. The headless mode lets you fly it at a high altitude. You can control the drone with a 2.4 GHz remote controller. The Kids Alpha drone is the best drone kit for children.
The quadcopter drone is great for learning. Let’s look at the pros and cons of this drone kit.
- It has a unique shape. The egg shape opens up and becomes a drone. It is an exciting experience for young kids.
- It comes with a remote control which is easy to use.
- It also has a powerful altitude hold function. This function allows the release of the throttle stick and lets the drone fly at a specific height.
- It includes a painting kit for children. Paintbrushes and multi-colored paints can be used to create artistic paintings.
- The drone comes with easy-to-use controls. These controls allow children to fly the drone with absolute ease. You can teach them to fly the drone at a young age.
- It is a basic drone.
- It does not include high-tech drone accessories.
- It is built for children and not adults.
Alternative: Circuit Scribe Drone Builder Kit
The Circuit Scribe Drone Builder Kit is a great DIY drone kit for children. It allows children to build their drones. The kit also includes a camera.
You can attach the camera to the drone. The DIY drone kit is perfect for homeschooling. You can also conduct science experiments, STEM activities, and other fun projects. Let’s look at the pros and cons of the Circuit Scribe Drone Builder Kit.
- It is a great way to get your kids interested in learning. You can introduce children to science and technology.
- The DIY drone kit is easy to assemble. Children can learn how to build simple and complex circuits. And all this can be done while having fun.
- It is perfect for kids of all ages.
- The drone is designed by a team of Ph.D. graduates from Harvard and UIUC. The idea is to teach young children about circuit building, science, and technology.
- It is only suitable for children.
- It does not include high-tech accessories.
- It is a basic model.
Drone Kit FAQs
Can I build my own drone?
Yes, with a bit of engineering effort, you can build your drone.
You can start by building an aerodynamic and lightweight design structure for your machine. Use materials that hold their form and shape in the drone’s frame, like wood or metals.
The most common structure of a modern-day drone is a Quadcopter. As its name suggests, the quadcopter is shaped like an ‘X’ and has four propellers, one on each arm. This structure allows you to fly high and use your camera lens to its full potential.
You have to attach propellers to the ends of the quadcopter structure. You will have to make space for motors in the frame for this. You can use screws to jam the propeller motors on. Further, you have to attach the Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs) at the bottom of the frame to keep more space on the top for other components.
As a precautionary measure, you should attach some form of landing gear to your drone. This addition will prevent unnecessary wear and tear and save a considerable amount of repair expenses. Some strong, lightweight, but flexible material is best suited for the job, for example, plastic.
Attaching the Flight Controller to your drone is of utmost importance. You can make it on your own or purchase one from the market. This device lets you analyze the wind on all your flights and keeps the drone stable in the air. It would be best to attach the Flight Controller over a sponge bed on the frame to reduce the drone’s vibrations.
Throw in a camera on your drone so that you can capture and see gorgeous and glamorous views from the sky. However, make sure you are using the camera on permissible grounds.
You would then need to tether the drone’s controls with your controller and then link your controller to software like ‘LibrePilot.’ Moreover, you must connect your ESCs to the Flight Controller.
Finally, choose an open space for testing your drone, and make sure that your machine makes a soft landing every time.
Are Walmart drones any good?
If you feel that drones sold in a generic place like Walmart are of substandard quality or that inexpensive drones are not good, you are wrong.
Walmart is home to some affordable drones that are also of incredible stature. You can purchase the most expensive drones if you have the budget, but a Walmart drone is an excellent choice for the people who are beginning to enter this universe.
With a starting price range of $50-$200, these drones are not heavy on the pocket and do not compromise any equipment.
The Snaptain SP600 WiFi FPV Drone is one of the best drones that Walmart is selling at a retail price of $86.26. Moving a tad bit over this price range, the Holy Stone HS120D GPS Drone is selling for $159.99. Both these drones are armed with top-notch cameras that will enrich your drone flying experience manyfold.
How much does it cost to fly a drone?
The cost of a drone may feel unreasonable to you, but more often than not, the drone that will suit your needs costs much lower than you think.
Please ask yourself why you are buying a drone. Knowing the purpose of the machine helps us make a better choice in the retail arena. If you are a first-time flier or a beginner, then your budget need not go above $100. Experts will urge you to purchase a $20-$30 machine as your first drone. This drone allows you to get a few scratches under your belt and permits you to learn the controls.
The $100-$250 bracket is ideal for people with some experience flying a drone and for those who are looking to enter the drone racing arena. These drones are light in weight but can tear through the air fast.
You must have realized that we haven’t even begun to talk about camera drones. It is because they are challenging to pilot and slightly more expensive. They are also heavier, and therefore not used in races.
Good quality racing and camera drones have a price tag upwards of $500. Professional drones can be as expensive as $2,000 and upwards. For someone who is an enthusiast and knows that you will use the drone to its fullest, this is an investment you want to make.
Is DJI owned by Apple?
No, Apple does not own DJI. The rumors stating that Apple is slowly buying DJI out are untrue. Apple has no role in DJI.
DJI, the Chinese Drone stalwart, only mirrors Apple’s ecosystem, and Apple has started selling DJI drones as a part of a partnership between the two companies. DJI’s reputation as the “Apple of the drone world” is but a comparison and nothing more.
You might be wondering who owns DJI, if not Apple. Well, you’re not alone.
Many people have come forth with their speculations. Some believe that the Chinese Government owns the company. Many people abstained from purchasing DJI drones because they claimed that the machine would send camera footage to China. The company even faced legal actions when it entered the US market.
DJI has clarified all these stands and reiterated the privacy of consumer content. SZ DJI Technology Co. Ltd. owns the company, and ‘DJI’ is its trade name. The Shenzhen and Guangdong-based company was started by Frank Wang, who is now CEO.
Wang used his passion for building drones and founded a company to work on the same. Before making drones himself, he started supplying drone components to other companies. Gradually, DJI began to build its product.
Now, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, people are using drones for delivery purposes. Simultaneously, the Police are using drones to keep patrols, and some people are even using drones to disinfect their communities.
Now that you have learned about the different drone kits in the market, you can choose the best drone kit for yourself. You also have the option of picking the best starter drone kit.
It is the best option for beginners. There are all types of drone kits available today. You can either select a DIY drone kit or a preassembled one. Choose one that fits your needs.