RC toys are an excellent way to get your kids into RC models. The toys can be educational and can provide hours of fun and safe entertainment.
Most models are perfect for kids over five years, and they can perform many different actions like walking, talking, dancing, and even fighting.
We’ll look at the best RC toys in today’s guide and give you our top picks.
We’ll also let you know how RC toys work, from the antenna and receiver to the circuit boards. Additionally, we’ll give you tips on creating your own RC antenna and how to increase the range.
Best Overall: ORRENTE RC Car Stunt Toy
- Type: RC car
- Size: 6 x 6 x 3 inches (15.24 x 15.24 x 7.62 cm)
- Age: 6 – 8 years
The ORRENTE RC car is a stunt car toy perfect for kids ages 6 to 8.
It comes with a dual-motor powerful enough to allow the best speed when the battery is fully charged.
This feature makes the ORRENTE RC car faster than any other RC car toy on the market.
ORRENTE’s RC car comes with durable anti-slip tires for a better grip between the vehicle and most surfaces.
The RC car is capable of going through sand, grass, pavement, and many more surfaces. The tires and design also allow the drone to perform 360° stunts indoors or outdoors.
This car’s design and features make it the best possible remote control toy for six years old.
It is faster than other models, has an excellent set of tires, and the controller is capable of transmitting at 2.4GHz.
- Excellent battery life and power, making it faster than other RC cars in the world.
- Easy to use and set up, perfect for small kids over six years.
- It comes with anti-slip tires for every possible terrain. It works perfectly indoors and outdoors.
- It includes a headlight function just like real cars.
- It includes two rechargeable batteries for more driving time.
- The RC car is excellent for kids, but the controller can be frustrating if the kid has no RC model experience.
- Another drawback of this model is that it is more expensive than other RC cars on the market. Although other products do not offer the same power and features, you should consider the price before buying this.
Runner-Up: Think Gizmos TG542-VR Robot
- Type: RC robot
- Size: 13.54 x 8.58 x 5.28 inches (34.39 x 21 x 13 cm)
- Age: 5 years and up
Think Gizmos’ TG542-VR is one of the best remote control toys for your kids. It is easy to use, set up, and its design can give your kid hours of fun.
The remote control robot can walk, slide, dance with lights and sounds, fire disks and a blaster, talk, and use voice recording to program speech.
The model allows you to program the robot’s voice in 5 different languages.
Your kids will be able to record messages for the robot to speak on command. The robot will speak the message in its robot voice, allowing your kids to surprise family and friends.
This robot comes with all the necessary gear to make it work right after unboxing it.
TG’s remote control robot is made of a strong and resistant material that is non-toxic to kids. Keep in mind that both the controller and the transmitter work at 2.4GHz.
You won’t be able to use additional controllers if they work over or under 2.4GHz.
- Excellent for kids, thanks to its robust design and non-toxic materials.
- The robot can perform many actions like walking, talking, and dancing.
- The robot comes with all its accessories, including batteries, blasters, disks, and more.
- The robot can identify five different languages: English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
- The main drawback of this remote control toy is the limited battery life. Even when fully charged, it won’t give you many hours of play. So, if you plan to use it for a long time, you should try getting more than one battery for the robot.
Alternative: Cradream RC Robots
- Type: Remote control robot
- Size: 10.4 x 6.3 x 3.3 inches (26 x 16.3 x 8.3 cm)
- Age: 3 Years and Up
Cradream’s RC robot is one of the best options for kids under five years old.
This drone offers many excellent features for your kids, from gesture sensing and intelligent programming to singing and dancing.
It is made of highly-resistant materials that are non-toxic for your kids.
This remote control robot allows your kids to choose between walking and sliding, and they can even adjust the speed at which the robot moves.
You can use the controller or your hands to control the robot’s actions. The robot can go right, left, forwards, or backward depending on what your kids want it to do.
The robot includes 18 different LED eyes for your kids to choose and change whenever they want.
The eyes can also change automatically when you use the toy.
This robot excels at telling stories to your kids. It also includes a “science popularization” mode that will teach your kids about science and more.
- The drone comes with gesture sensing for better control.
- The robot can perform different actions like walking, sliding, dancing, and singing.
- The toy is a perfect option to teach your kids about science and other topics. It is an excellent storyteller.
- The robot’s LED eyes can change automatically or when your kids want it.
- Although it is a toy for kids around three years and up, it can be tricky to program. If you are buying this for your kid, make sure you program the robot before using it.
- This robot is excellent for toddlers, but it doesn’t do much for kids over five years old.
Alternative: Hexbug Spider Random Color
- Type: Remote control spider
- Size: 5.12 x 4.33 x 4.33 inches (13 x 10.9 x 10.9 cm)
- Age: 5 to 15 years old
Hexbug’s Spider is a marvel of technology that offers incredible features at an affordable price.
The toy provides a 2-channel IR remote, a 360° rotating head, it can crawl in any direction, and it is small enough to fit in your kid’s hands.
Additionally, this model includes the battery and is available in a wide variety of colors.
The 2-channel IR remote allows you to control more than one of these incredible bugs simultaneously.
The bug is made of highly-resistant materials that are non-toxic for kids, and it also complies with all CPSIA standards.
This spider has a complex internal mechanism that allows it to perform many different actions, making it the best remote control spider for boys.
- The spider can perform various actions like walking and crawling in any direction.
- Hexbug’s spider comes with a 2-channel IR remote capable of controlling more than one bug simultaneously.
- The spider is made of highly-resistant materials.
- The spider’s head can rotate 360°
- The brand’s customer service is almost non-existent and could give you a hard time if you need spare parts or repair.
- Another drawback of this product is that the battery does not last long, so your kids won’t be able to enjoy the spider for hours.
Alternative: Think Gizmos Large Remote Control Robot
- Type: Remote control robot
- Size: 8.66 x 5.12 x 14.57 inches (21.8 x 13 x 36.8 cm)
- Age: 5 years and up
Think Gizmos’ remote control robot offers many excellent possibilities. The robot can walk, talk, dance, and fight with missiles that come from its belly.
These features alone are enough to give your kid hours and hours of fun. However, this robot can do a lot more than just that.
It can also create a light show for your kids and their friends and get the party started with its incredible dancing skills.
Additionally, this is one of the best big remote control robots on the market.
So, if you have kids that love robot fights or robots in general, this could be the right gift.
- The robot can perform various actions like walking, talking, and dancing.
- This robot can also launch missiles from his stomach and can put on a light show while dancing.
- This robot is bigger than many other options on the market.
- The controller is powerful, but there can be some radio interference problems if you live in a city.
- The robot is not the most resistant option from Think Gizmos. If you want a more durable option, you should consider other robots.
Remote Control Toys FAQ
How Does a Remote Control Work on a Toy?
Remote control toys work very similar to other RC machines like planes and cars. There’s a transmitter, a receiver, a power source, and a motor.
Each of these parts plays an essential role in making remote control toys work.
The controller sends radio waves from the transmitter to the receiver. Once the signal gets to the RC toy, the toy will start performing the various actions it is programmed to do.
Most RC toys will walk, talk, slide, and dance, depending on the model. Some can even tell stories.
Here’s how a remote control toy works:
Transmitter and Receiver
RC models work by sending information from the transmitter to the receiver.
In an RC toy, the transmitter sends several electrical pulses that the toy can translate into specific pre-programmed actions.
Once the receiver gets the information, the motor starts functioning. It will use the translated command to act. It can be either walking, dancing, sliding, or talking.
The more powerful the motor is, the more actions the RC toy can do and the faster it can do them.
The circuit boards inside the toy have one of the most critical roles. The boards translate the electrical pulses into various actions.
For instance, one pulse means to walk. Two pulses can mean dance, and so on.
If your RC toy comes with many features, it means it has a more advanced and powerful circuit board than other models.
Always check this aspect of the RC toy before buying if you want to make sure you are getting a high-quality product.
How Can I Increase the Range of my Remote Control Toy Car?
Changing the Antenna
The best way to increase your remote control toy car’s range is to change your controller’s antenna.
Changing the antenna for one that offers a more extensive range can be easy, depending on your RC toy car’s model and brand. However, some controllers do not provide the possibility of changing antennas.
One of the best types of antennas you can get is a directional antenna. Directional antennas can extend the remote range because you can direct where the signal goes. Additionally, directional antennas tend to be longer, giving you more power to send a radio signal.
Once your antenna is changed, you should check your car and controller to ensure the connection is stable. If not, then check your antenna and make sure it is tightened into the controller. A loose antenna won’t give you the same power and range, and it can reduce the coverage you had before.
Try Changing the Receiver
Another option you have is to change the receiver inside your RC toy car. This option is a bit more complicated, but combining a new antenna and a new receiver can increase the range by a lot. So, if you want to increase the range exponentially, we recommend changing both receiver and transmitter.
Here’s what you’ll need to work on the RC car’s receiver:
- New receiver
- Double-sided foam tape
- Start by unscrewing the screws that hold your receiver into your RC car. You’ll notice various wires that connect your receiver to the motor and battery. Remove the cables carefully to prevent any damage to the RC toy’s internal mechanism.
- Next, install the new receiver. Make sure this receiver has higher power than the previous one. If the receiver is too big for the car’s inside mechanism, try using the double-sided foam tape to keep the receiver in place. The foam should be enough to hold the receiver and the car together.
- Finally, try reinstalling the wires to the new receiver. Make sure each wire is back in place before trying your new receiver.
Try Changing the Controller
Additionally, you can try changing your controller entirely for a more advanced version. Pro controllers offer a wider range and more power, which can give you many more meters to control your RC toy car.
Suppose you are going to buy a new controller. In that case, we recommend purchasing a set that includes a controller, transmitter, and receiver. If you buy them separately, make sure the three components work at the same frequency. If not, neither the controller, receiver, or antenna will work for your RC car.
How Can I Make a Remote Control Antenna?
Here’s what you’ll need to make an RC car toy antenna:
- Phone cord
- Wire strippers
Here are the steps you can take to create your own RC antenna for a toy:
- Start by cutting the phone cords’ edges off.
- Then, proceed to strip one of the wire’s edges and then twist both ends.
- Twist the wires together and connect them to where your previous antenna used to be. Do this carefully, and make sure the connection is safe and stable.
- Now, it is time to try your new antenna. Remember that the antenna only sends the signal thanks to the transmitter. Therefore, make sure your transmitter and controllers work correctly before attempting your new homemade antenna.
What’s the Difference Between 27MHz and 49 MHz?
Most RC toys and some RC models work in two frequencies: 27MHz and 49 MHz. Like with 2.4GHz and 5GHz, these two frequencies work similarly but have unique capacities. However, the main difference and the reason there are two frequencies is that two toys on the same frequency would interfere with each other’s signals.
The same toy and model of the same brand can come with two different frequencies. If you have two kids and want to buy them the same RC cars, you should buy one working at 27MHz and another at 49MHz.
Additionally, the more advanced the toy is, the higher the frequency it uses. That’s the reason that some RC models and toys work at 2.4GHz or 5GHz.
Remote control toys are an excellent gift for kids that love robots or cars. Most RC toys can perform actions that will give your kids hours of wholesome entertainment. Others might even teach your kids about science and computing. You can choose between cars, robots, and even spiders.
If you are looking for the best RC car toy, we recommend ORRENTE’s RC Car Stunt Toy. This model can go across any surface, from sand and grass to pavement and rocks. The toy includes the best possible tires, a powerful motor, and one of the best controllers you’ll find in RC toys.